Thursday, June 12, 2014

A quick note on birth certificates & SS cards

A few days ago a friend sent me a link from California Families for Access to Midwives, asking if I've ever had trouble getting my baby's social security card or birth certificate after a homebirth.  I scrolled through other readers' responses, and it seems as though many people have.  I never have.  I also don't live in California, and the state you live in will dictate much of the experience you will have in obtaining these crucial documents for your baby.

Getting my babies' birth certificates was super easy- my midwife submitted the paperwork and later I requested a copy of the certificate from the county recorder's office.  In fact, I thought it was better than the hospital way of doing it, where you *HAVE* to have your baby's name written in stone before you leave the hospital so they can process the birth certificate paperwork.  It's nice to have a few days to get to know your new baby, straight from Heaven, and play with the names that have been your favorites and see which one is hers or his.  My baby's social security cards came in the mail- so problemo.  Easy peasy, didn't have to do a thing.  But I live in Nevada, a pretty awesome state when it comes to things like taxes and red tape. (And not so awesome when it comes to things like education and health care- hence, homebirthing here is pretty common in some parts of the state.)

Do some research, talk to your midwife.  She will be intimately acquainted with the paperwork process after you birth your baby and be able to tell you what to expect.  Each state has different laws governing midwives who deliver at home, and you should know what your state requires.  California, for example, prohibits midwives from delivering breech babies.  (Super lame, right?) But that's the law.  Other states require midwives to operate under an OB/GYN.  If, for whatever reason, they don't have a doctor undersigning their practice, they are technically practicing illegally.  (California recently did away with this law for MOST midwives, but not all.)  Regardless of my (or yours, or the midwives') opinions about these laws, you should know them and find a midwife who abides by them.  Afterall, having a baby shouldn't be a legal issue!

Even if you live in a state where it will be more difficult than my experience, don't get too hung up on it.  Your baby WILL get a birth certificate and social security card.  I promise. They are a living, breathing person, and whether you have to wait longer, get paperwork from your pediatrician rather than your midwife, or make a few extra phone calls, they absolutely will get these essential documents.  Your baby is not the first, nor the last, baby in your state to be born at home.  So keep it in perspective and don't stress! Save your stress for parenting, not pregnancy!

Here's a great link to get you started researching midwifery in your state: 

No comments:

Post a Comment